Whenever you move your blog to a new Domain, users get “404 page not found” error message which denotes the broken Links. If you don’t know much about the Broken Links then they are the kind of links which actually doesn’t exists. These kind of links are really harmful for any web masters especially when these broken links are internal links to your site. It creates bad user experience and is extremely harmful for SEO(Search Engine Optimization) as well. Users will not visit your Blog/Website again, if your post redirects them to “404 page not found” Error page.
Fixing a Broken Links issue is really necessary for Webmasters and Bloggers because it improves the User Experience and also the SEO which is really necessary for the betterment of any blog.
If you are a WordPress user then you can easily Fix Broken Links by using Plugins. I always use Broken Link Checker Plugin to fix Broken Links in WordPress Blogs so suggesting you the same as well. If you are new to the WordPress and don’t know much about it, follow the below given step by step procedure:
- Monitors links in your posts, pages, comments, the blogroll, and custom fields (optional).
- Detects links that don’t work, missing images and redirects.
- Notifies you either via the Dashboard or by email.
- Makes broken links display differently in posts (optional).
- Prevents search engines from following broken links (optional).
- You can search and filter links by URL, anchor text and so on.
- Links can be edited directly from the plugin’s page, without manually updating each post.
- Highly configurable.
- First of all, Login into your WordPress Admin Panel by providing the credential at http://www.yourblog.com/wp-admin
- In your WordPress Dashboard, Navigate to Plugins>>Add New .The screenshot of the same is shown below:
- Now, Type “Broken Link Checker” in the Search box and click on the “Search Plugins” button. The screenshot of the same is shown below.
- You will see the “Broken Link Checker” Plugin in the list of Plugins. Click on “Install Now” button to Install the Plugin. Below given figure shows the same.
- After the Installation of this Plugin, You should “Activate” the Plugin. To do this, simply click on “Activate” link of Broken Link Checker Plugin in the list of Installed Plugins.
- Now, Click on “Settings” to know about the broken links present on your WordPress Blog.
- Once done, You would be able to see the number of Broken Links on your WordPress Blog. The screenshot of the same is shown below:
- You would be able to see the broken links by navigating to Tools>>Broken Link as well. Once found the broken link, edit the url and correct it.
- After correcting the url address, you can disable the Plugin as well. Enjoy