Google Adsense Invalid Click Activity : What you Need to Know
I have been using Google Adsense for more than 3 years now and realized no matter how many Adsense alternatives we talk about, Adsense is undoubtedly the highest paying Ad network for bloggers. However, while Adsense is blessing for most bloggers, it is one of the biggest worries too. Many bloggers are afraid of Adsense Invalid Click Activity, which is the primary reason for disabling Adsense accounts of most of the bloggers. As per a recent published adsense statistics repost, almost 72% adsense account got disabled and banned due to invalid click activity.
Also Check – How to Increase your Adsense Earnings using SEMRush?
When Google disable any Adsense Account, it just says “we’ve determined that your AdSense account poses a risk of generating invalid activity”. This is the only details they give. Here is the sample email:
After reviewing our records, we’ve determined that your AdSense account poses a risk of generating invalid activity. Because we have a responsibility to protect our AdWords advertisers from inflated costs due to invalid activity, we’ve found it necessary to disable your AdSense account. Your outstanding balance and Google’s share of the revenue will both be fully refunded back to the affected advertisers.
Please understand that we need to take such steps to maintain the effectiveness of Google’s advertising system, particularly the advertiser-publisher relationship. We understand the inconvenience that this may cause you, and we thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.If you have any questions or concerns about the actions we’ve taken, how you can appeal this decision, or invalid activity in general, you can find more information by visiting http://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=57153.
The Google AdSense Team
What is the meaning of Invalid Click Activity?
According to Google
Invalid click activity consists of any clicks or impressions that may artificially inflate an advertiser’s costs or a publisher’s earnings, and for which we decide not to charge the advertiser. This includes, but is not limited to, clicks or impressions generated by a publisher clicking on his own ads, a publisher encouraging clicks on his ads, automated clicking tools or traffic sources, robots, or other deceptive software.
Please note that clicks on Google ads must result from genuine user interest, and any method that artificially generates clicks or impressions is strictly prohibited by our program policies.
What is the Difference between a Legit click and an Invalid click?
When genuine visitors click on Ads displayed on your blog, it’s known as Legit Click. These kind of clicks normally converts. If you don’t know much about the Lead or Conversion, consider an Example- Suppose Google displays an Ad related to “Online Examination Platform” on your blog. A Genuine visitor will click on that Ad only when he/she is interested in Online Exam kind of thing. After clicking on that Ad, he/she will be redirected to the advertiser’s website. As the User is interested, he/she may either purchase an Examination Plan or Sign Up for Trial. If that happens, Advertisers get benefited. That’s why they pay for.
If the User just click on Ads without having any interest on whatever is shown, it’s called Invalid Clicks. These kind of Clicks doesn’t benefit Advertisers and are thus useless for Advertisers and Google. Types of Clicks which are considered Invalid are:
- Accidental clicks that provide no value, such as the second click of a double-click
- Manual clicks intended to increase someone’s advertising costs
- Clicks and impressions by automated tools, robots, or other deceptive software
How does Google detect Invalid Clicks?
Google uses various complex algorithms for detecting Invalid Click Activity. Google’s bots crawl pages just the way we see them. Additionally, it also uses mouse tracking algorithm which tracks the record of every single user’s mouse pattern on the sites using adsense. Depending upon their mouse pattern, Google checks their psychology behind clicking on those Ads.
How to Keep Your Adsense Account Safe?
- Understand your Ad Traffic and Site Visitor – Being an Adsense Publisher, you are ultimately responsible for the traffic on their ads. For this reason, it’s critical that you diligently monitor your ad traffic.Use Google Analytics to get detailed information about your site visitors, and be on the lookout for any suspicious user behaviour.
- Don’t Click on your own ads – Clicking on your own ads is strictly prohibited. Even if you’re interested in an ad or looking for it’s destination URL, you shouldn’t click on your own ads. According to Google, “Please keep in mind that even when we filter clicks on your own ads, we don’t ignore those clicks completely; if it appears to us that a publisher has been clicking on his own ads to inflate his earnings or an advertiser’s costs, we may disable the account to protect our advertisers.“
- Avoid Partnering with Low-Quality ad networks – Some publishers have had issues related to Invalid Click activity when partnering with low-quality ad networks. so, i advise you not to partner with such ad networks. Though for monetization you can use other ad networks like Infolinks, Buysellads, Viglink etc. that comply with Adsense TOS
- Don’t Alter the Adsense ad Code – Google doesn’t allow you to alter their Ad codes. No matter how good programmer you are, never try to alter Adsense ad codes.
- Don’t Host Copyright Contents – Use of Adsense Ads on a site which distribute copyright contents like movies, songs etc is not allowed.Even Linking to a site which distribute Illegal and Copyright contents is not permitted. If you are doing this, you are most likely to get an instant ban.
- Don’t use Paid Traffic – Adsense doesn’t allow the use of Paid Traffic. If you are investing money for getting clicks on your Adsense Ads, you are doing a mistake. It can be a reason for the termination of your Adsense Account.
- Don’t send Adsense Ads via E-mail – Use of Adsense Ads inside an E-mail is against the Adsense program policies.
- Don’t Motivate users to click on your Ads – Many bloggers use labels such as “Click on below shown ads”, “click to see hot babe” . This is not permitted.
I accidentally clicked on my own ads. Will this cause a problem for my account?
As i informed you earlier in this post, publishers are not permitted to click on their own ads for any reason. However, google understand that accidental clicks may occur. Therefore, they don’t require that you contact them every time you make mistake.
Invalid Click Activity – FAQs
What If I click on my own Adsense Ads using IP hiding Softwares?
Don’t even think about it. It will lead to the termination of your Adsense account. I know many bloggers who have lost their Adsense account while attempting to make big amount through Adsense by clicking on their own Ads using IP hiding or VPN softwares.
Is it safe to hire Adsense Ad clicking services from sites like Fiverr?
It’s against the TOS of Google Adsense and hence highly risky. You can’t ask anyone to click on your Adsense Ads. In sites like Fiverr, people offer Ad clicking services at cheap rate(normally $5). Using such services can lead to the termination of your account.
I lost my Adsense Account due to invalid activity, what should i do?
When Google terminates your account, they provide you the reason in brief. You can always fill the Appeal form for getting your account back. However, before filling the Appeal form make sure that you have resolved all issues mentioned in their e-mail and ensure that the same will not happen in future.
I have filled the Appeal form, will I get my Adsense account back?
Well nobody can answer this question except Google. Sometimes, they refuse to give adsense back to you and sometimes they give. What i feel is, if you have done good business with them in past, you have more chances of getting your Adsense account back.
My Appeal for getting Adsense back has been rejected, now what?
That’s sad. However, you can’t do anything. I will advise you to stop filling another Appeal Form for at least next 3-4 months. During this period, write some valuable content and try to drive traffic to your blog.
Have you got your Adsense account back after getting banned due to Invalid Click Activity? If yes, share your story via comments.