Keyword Research using Google Keyword Planner Tool- Beginners guide
Keyword Research is a fundamental part of SEO and Online Marketing of all kinds. Search engines always give importance to Compelling contents, but if you are writing on topics which are not searched, you are likely to miss a lot of traffic. Keyword Research is the process of finding “Words and Phrases” which are often searched by people across this world. After getting an idea about such words and phrases, you can write an article on those topics and thus drive traffic to your blog. If you are not getting enough traffic from search engines, you should focus on “Keyword Research“. If you are ready to spend few dollars, i will highly recommend you to purchase “Long Tail Pro” because it’s the best and easiest tool for doing keyword Research.
If you are looking for a free Keyword Research Tool, Google Keyword Planner Tool is undoubtedly the best one. Today, i will show you the method of doing keyword research using this free keyword research tool.
You May Like – What is Google Hummingbird Algorithm? Detailed Explanation
Why Keyword Research is So Important?
- Until you know what words and phrases are most searched by people, you can’t drive traffic from search engines. Keyword Research is a process of finding “Words and phrases” which are searched more. After getting an idea, you can target those specific words and phrases and rank well in SERPs.
- If you are dependent on Adsense for making money online, Keyword Research can still help you. Adsense displays its Ads on the basis of Keywords used. If you are using Low CPC keywords, you will earn less. By targeting High CPC keywords in your articles, you can maximize your earnings.
How to Do Keyword Research using Google Keyword Planner Tool?
- Visit http://www.google.com/adwords and Log into your account.
- You can use your existing Google account Credential for logging into Google Adword Account. If you don’t have a Google Account, get one.
- After logging into Google Adword Account, Click on Tools>>Keyword Planner option. The screenshot is shown below:
- You will see four different option within Google Keyword Planner Tool. Out of these four options, you’ll only need to use 3 three i.e (1)Search for new Keyword and ad group ideas (2)Get search volume for a list of keyword or group them into ad group (3) Multiply keyword lists to get new Keyword Ideas. See below given screenshot.
Understanding the First Option
The first option is “Search for new keyword and ad group ideas”. It’s an important option. Lets see, what kind of functionalities it offers:
- Your Product or Service – In this field, enter a specific keyword of a list of keywords. I will recommend you to enter 1-5 keywords related to your niche. If your blog is about Blogging and SEO, you can enter keywords like “keyword Research” and “affiliate marketing”.
- Your Landing Page – Normally, this field is used by Adwords users. Enter your blog’s url in this field.
- Your Product Category – In this field, select your Niche . If you are not sure about your Niche, you can Leave this field empty.
- All Location – In this field, you can select your targeted location like USA, India, Canada etc. If you don’t know which country to target, simply select “All Locations”.
- All Languages – If your blog’s language is English, you should select “English” as your language. For this example, i haven’t changed the default option which was “All languages”.
- Google- In this field, you can specify your targeted search engine. Google is undoubtedly the best and most popular so there is no reason why, you won’t target it.
- Negative Keywords – This option is mainly used by Google Adword users. Negative keywords are those keywords that they don’t want to advertise on.
Customize your Search
- Keyword Filters – This field allows you to set criteria for filtering out your keywords. Different fields which can be used to set up a criteria are :(1)Average Monthly Searches (2) Suggested Bid (3) Ad Impression Share and (4) Competition (High, Medium,Low). For example, if you are not interested to see any keywords in your result which has less than 1000 monthly searches, you can use this option.
- Keyword Options – According to me, this field is best suited for “Adword users” so better leave this field. Anyway, lets see what functionalities it offers:
- Include/ Exclude – Using this field, you can instruct google Keyword Planner tool to include or exclude certain keywords from showing up in the results. To do that, simply enter your desired keywords in Include and Exclude fields.
Understanding the Second Option
If you already have a large list of Keywords in a file like CSV(Microsoft Excel Sheet), you can use this option to import those Keywords. In order to do that, simply use the Upload option by clicking on “Choose a File” button. Choose your file and click on “Get search volume” .Before that, you can specify the Locations, Search Engines and Negative Keywords.
Understanding the last Option
As the title “Multiply keyword lists to get new keyword ideas” suggests, you can use different keywords in two lists for getting new keyword ideas. For example, i have used “seo and keyword research” in List 1 and “blogger, wordpress” in List 2. Google keyword Planner can search for keywords like “Seo for blogger”,”Seo in WordPress”, “Keyword Research in Blogger” etc. As you can see, the result is the combination of two keywords which are provided in List 1 and List 2.
- First of all, Login into Google Adword Account.
- Click on Tools>> Keyword Planner
- Click on First Option i.e “”Search for new keyword and ad group ideas” .Enter your keywords in first text box. You can enter either one or more than one. For this example, I am using only one keyword. In Landing Page option, enter the Url of your Blog. In “Your Product Category” field, don’t enter anything. Once done, click on “Get Ideas” button. See below given screenshot:
- You will now be presented with a list of Ad group ideas with a graph showing Average monthly searches. Click on “Keyword Ideas” tab.
- Now, you will see a list of Keywords with other stats like “Average Monthly Searches“, “Competition“,”Suggested Bids” etc.
- Before selecting any Keyword for your articles, make sure that its “Average Monthly Searches” data is high and Competition is Either Medium or Low.
- If you want to maximize your Adsense Earnings, target the keyword whose Suggested bid is Higher. See below given screenshot:
- That’s the end of this tutorial. Google Keyword Planner Tool is completely free and thus the best tool for new bloggers who can’t invest money on Long Tail Pro.