How to Password Protect a Download in WordPress?
If you want to offer important downloadable files only to your special readers, you can either create a Membership site or password Protect your file. I have already provided a tutorial for creating a Membership site with WordPress for free. Today I am providing a tutorial to password protect your downloads in WordPress. For doing this, you can use a free plugin called “Simple Download Monitor“. Using this plugin, you can password protect your download and also count the number of downloads.
In this tutorial, I will deal below given steps:
- Installation of Simple Download Monitor plugin.
- Uploading of your files and Password Protecting it.
- Using the password Protected document in your Post or Pages.
Also Read – How to Make Easy Money on Fiverr with your Blog?
Step 1: Installation of Simple Download Monitor Plugin
- Log into your WordPress Admin Panel through http://yourblog.com/wp-admin.
- Navigate to Plugins>>Add New. See below given screenshot.
- Type “Simple Download Monitor” in the search box and hit the “Search Plugins” button.
- You will see “Simple Download Monitor” at the top of search results. Just click on “Install Now” link.
- After the installation, Activate it.
Step 2: Uploading of Files and Password Protecting it
- After activating the plugin, you will see a new option “Downloads” in your Dashboard. Just click on it. To add a new file, Click on “Add New” option.
- Give a Title for your File . Also add a description about that file. Once done, click on Edit link which appears next to Visibility. You would be able to add a password through this option. See below given screenshot.
- After clicking the Edit link, you will see three options : Public, Private and Password Protected. Choose Password Protected option and enter a Password. See below given screenshot:
- For making your download more user friendly, you can attach a thumbnail of your file as well. The recommended dimension is 75 x 75. Once published, you can use shortcodes for adding the download to your posts or pages and also for counting the number of downloads.
Also Read >> How to increase your Adsense Earnings using SEMrush?
Step 3: Using the Password Protected Downloadable File in your Posts and Pages
- As i informed you earlier, you can use Shortcodes for using the Password Protected Downloadable files in your Posts and Pages. For adding these shortcode, simply click on download icon in WordPress Post Editor.
- It will show you the list of your uploaded files. Just choose the file of your choice and click on “Insert SDM Shortcode”. If you want to include Fancy Box as well, simply check the Fancy Box option. See below given screenshot:
- That’s it. Just Publish your blog post or page and enjoy.
Genesis Tutorial for Beginners is a pdf tutorial which deals with all kind of topics related to Genesis Framework including settings, customization and Hooks.